Catching Up with Us...

Notes on the latest events that we're too lazy to call you about...

Monday, November 13, 2006

Culinary efforts

One of the things I've taken up lately is food preparation: cooking and baking. I wanted a balance in culinary skills -- to be able to feed and surprise with dinner and dessert. I was never good in the kitchen as a kid, in fact, I used to tell my mom the stovetop was too hot, shrugged off the stirring and left. I did end up baking tons of sugar cookies, which was my signature item during high school. More on my lack of kitchen skills another time... there's a few funny chopping, food stories. (Despite my anti-kitchen antics, I did actually learn how to make eggs, fry rice, pan fry potstickers and whip up spaghetti as a yout', but that was it.)

After spending a reasonable amount of time watching the Food Network, I took the leap and wanted to try a few recipes. I started mostly with Giada's Everyday Italian dishes. We love Italian food and some of her recipes aren't too complicated, so it was a good match. My first decent dish was champagne risotto, which turned out so well that it's come back many times with mild enhancements -- the true sign of comfort. My gnocchi, on the other hand, still needs a lot of work. Profiteroles are in the group with the risotto, yum!

On one occasion at a bookstore I thought a cookbook would be nice to expand my choices. I didn't want anything from the people on Food Network, since that's the joy of FoodNetwork.com. I looked at cuisine specific, people-centric and those books on the hidden secrets of your old-time favorites. I eventually settled on one that featured recipes that only required five ingredients. Wahoo! I'm all about less food prep as I don't enjoy all that chopping, dicing or having to involve so many moving parts that I need a village of bowls to get one meal on the table.

I do enjoy grating, though my first time with our new grater and some parmigiano reggiano didn't go so well. I was overzealous in grating down to the rind that I didn't notice I was grating my fingertips. It wasn't until I stopped that I noticed some superficial cut marks. No blood but a little bit of extra finger texture.

I need to work on my list of dishes that: Taste Great, Looks Great, Taste Great, Needs Work on Presentation, Needs Work All Around. Many of my dishes end up in the middle category, though I do have a few in the first and third group, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home